History of the Building

The building was built in 1880 to be used as a town hall. The first years saw the second floor used as an armory for the local militia. The first floor housed the town hall and a hand drawn fire cart before the advent of a local hose company. At this time the cart was available to any citizens needing to use it to combat a fire in town.In the early years the building was used mainly for a town meeting place, but it has also been used for a school, street maintenance building, town jail, election place, and even a roller skating rink.When the Citizen Hose Company was organized in 1886 it was located in this building and it later became the Crescent Hose Company. In addition to their equipment, they also kept, in this building, horses to pull the wagons. They built the addition on the south side of the building until 1997, when they built a larger building on Main Street.


Plan a visit

We are located in the old Town Hall
25 Vine Street
North East, PA
See us on the Map

Museum Hours
Fridays and Saturdays 4:30 - 8:30 pm, June - December
Other hours by appointment

Admission - Free
Donations Welcome
The society welcomes any donations of articles that would help achieve our mission. We are a 501c(3) charitable organization which makes donations tax deductible.



Website Designed by Debra Brunner | Web Hosting provided by