Dyer Loomis was born in North East Township October 1, 1810 the son of Dyer and Nancy Wood Loomis who had settled here in 1796. He was raised on the family farm, educated in common schools and became a teacher at age 18, teaching four winter sessions in township schools and one summer in the borough school. He then decided to complete his own education at Worthington and Milan Ohio academies. He returned home and found his father in ill health so he took over the farm duties. He married Eliza McCord Robinson of North East on April 23, 1839. She died in November 1867.
    In 1862, when hearing from his son Joseph, who was serving in the Army, that more soldiers were badly needed Dyer, at age 52, raised a full company plus an extra twenty men in 14 days when no one else was having much luck raising troops. When Dyer took Company C of the 145th PA Infantry to war, one of his men was his other son Lamartine. Lamartine contracted typhoid fever at Harpers Ferry and died within four weeks back home in North East at age 17. Dyer’s daughter, Mary, contracted the disease while carrying for her brother and died a month later.
   On the occasion of his daughter’s sickness he was able to obtain a short leave from the front to come home. When he arrived in Erie he had only three or four hours before he had to head back. He hired the best team he could find and hurried to North East arriving to find Mary had died and his wife ill. He could not even stay for his daughter’s funeral for fear of court martial.
    Captain Loomis was taken prisoner at the battle of Chancellorsville and taken to Libby Prison. He was paroled and discharged from the Army September of 1863 because of bad health. When he was taken prisoner he had all his personal belongings taken and came home with nothing to show for his service. Years later his captured sword was returned by a Confederate soldier who had seen his name and address on the scabbard and wrote to him.
    Loomis was for a long time engaged in brick making and his bricks are in many North East houses today. He also established a harness manufactory, had a shoe store, served as a Justice of the Peace for 35 years and then Notary Public for three terms. In North East’s devastating fire of 1884, Loomis lost his shoe shop on the east side of Lake Street, a three-story building on the west side of Lake Street and a two-story building on Main Street. As smart as he was in his business dealings, he had no insurance. He died December 2, 1901 at age 91 and is buried in North East Cemetery with his parents, wife and three children.



Website Designed by Debra Brunner | Web Hosting provided by